Municipality of Atzara

Skip navigation bar and go to contents

Atzara

‘Domos de pedra’ and ‘magasinos’

Home > ‘Domos de pedra’ and ‘magasinos’

Focus on...

  • Old balcony in the street V. Emanuele © Lino Cianciotto
  • Old portal © Murru Gianluca

The best of Atzara lays in its old centre.
The evocative quarters of Su Fruscu, Sa Cora Manna, Su Cuccuru de Santu Giorgi, Montiga ‘e Susu, Lodine, Zuri, Montiga ‘e Josso have preserved the urban plan of the Aragonese age, with granite low houses, with ceilings in oak beams and distinctive trachyte cornices adorning doors and windows with fine works of sculpture.
The narrow streets widen in the large church squares, or they go past elegant Spanish palaces, such as the one that belonged to the Counts of San Martino (‘Palazzo de Su Conte’), an ancient feudal mansion, or the old parish house, presenting architectural features dating from the Aragonese period.
The old water mill (now a private property) is noteworthy as well.
In the old centre is the Museum of Modern Art ‘Antonio Ortiz Echagüe’, hosted in the renovated rooms of a house once owned by Carmina and Pietro Sias.

Onto the side-streets and little squares look the magasinos, old private cellars representing another valuable resource of the village. The most ancient cellar dates back to 1500. Hosted inside the old Aragonese building ‘de Su Conte’, it guards chestnut barrels, a ceiling supported by original oaken beams and an earthen floor – and, of course, bottles of excellent Mandrolisai and Moscato, always ready for guests.

 
Copyright © Municipality of Atzara    |  Home | Contacts | Site map | ConsulMedia 2007