Skip navigation bar and go to contents
The parish church of Sant'Antioco was raised between the 16
th and the 17
th century. It can be reached going down via Regina Margherita and through narrow
streets emerging onto a small, irregular square. Its medieval-like appearance is reflected by the
austerity of the church façade and by the urban context, rich of evidence from the past.
The ancient church of San Giorgio, located in the homonymous square at the heart of the village, dates back to years ahead of 1205. Documents report that the building was consecrated around 1386. In the period when the artistic activity of national and international painters was flourishing, it inspired the creation of great works of art such as the ‘Return from the Festival of San Mauro’, by Chicharro, the ‘Patronesses’ Festival’, by Ortiz Echagüe and ‘The Bread’, by De Castillo.
Also, the two rural churches of ‘Santa Maria ‘e Susu’, dating back to the year 1000 ca., and ‘ Santa Maria e’ Josso’ are worth mentioning; the latter, collapsed in the early 1900, was rebuilt in the ‘70s along the road to Samugheo.